If you have sleep apnea did you know that it can be really bad for your health? Here at Belle Forest Dental, we are one of the leading dental offices located in Nashville, TN. When you come into the office you will see that we have a very friendly atmosphere and we treat each of our patients with the best dental care possible. In today’s article, we are going to be talking about sleep apnea and how it can have major disadvantages on your overall health.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleeping issue that can cause your breathing to stop in the middle of your sleep. When this happens, you will likely wake up gasping for air. Having apnea prevents you from getting a peaceful night’s sleep and it will usually leave you very tired during the day. Sleep apnea can cause more health problems than just that. It can lead to heart disease, diabetes, and more long-term health conditions. Here is a list of some other conditions that apnea can lead to.
· Depression – sleep apnea can cause depression because getting lack of sleep during the night it can make you more tired during the day and that can limit you from doing the things that n=you need to get done.
· Memory loss – apnea can lead to memory problems because when we sleep it helps consolidate our memories and if you have sleep apnea you are more likely to have some memory loss.
· Heart disease – studies show that sleep apnea can lead to an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and irregular heartbeats.
· Fatigue – when you have sleep apnea, you wake up all through the night and that will lead you to being tired and having less energy throughout the day.
· Mental confusion – the lack of sleep due to apnea can leave you mentally confused and make your mind foggy and can also hinder you from solving problems and thinking correctly.
How Does Sleep Apnea Begin?
Sleep apnea starts by having your airway become blocked, or it can collapse during the night. This makes your breathing start over and you may wake up gasping for air or letting out a big loud snore that can wake you and your significant other up. There are so many more health problems that apnea can lead to, such as obesity and high blood pressure. When these conditions link to lack of sleep, they can hurt more systems in your body.
Here at Belle Forest Dental, we care for our patients and only want the best for you. We strive to give you the best patient experiences possible, and if you have any questions or concerns about anything, please call us or stop by for a visit!