When it comes to preventing oral health problems from developing and progressing, professional teeth cleanings are a must. While few people look forward to going to the dentist for a dental exam and cleaning, both are necessary steps that can have a big impact on your long-term oral and overall health. At Belle Forest Dental, our experienced dental team is committed to making your professional dental cleaning experience as smooth as possible.
Teeth Cleaning at the Dentist
Professional teeth cleanings are one of the most important steps you can take to keep your teeth and gums healthy and strong. While brushing and flossing your teeth at home is effective at removing food particles and bacteria, your normal oral hygiene routine alone isn’t enough to remove the sticky plaque that can eventually harden into tartar buildup. Tartar buildup may not seem problematic, especially since it’s almost impossible to see, however, if left untreated tartar can lead to cavities, gum disease, and even tooth loss.
What Does a Teeth Cleaning Entail?
At Belle Forest Dental, we strive to make your professional teeth cleaning experience as comfortable and convenient as possible. Here’s what you can expect during your teeth cleaning appointment with one of our experienced dental hygienists:
- The hygienist will use a tiny mirror to inspect your gums for concerns, such as inflammation.
- Next, they will use a scaler to gently scrape plaque and tartar from your gum line and the crevices of your teeth.
- Then, they will use an electric toothbrush to apply gritty toothpaste to the surface of each tooth.
- After your teeth have been cleaned, they will floss between each one.
- Finally, they will finish with a thorough rinse to remove any remaining debris.
What Are the Benefits of Regular Dental Cleanings?
- Removing sticky plaque and hard tartar deposits that are impossible to remove at home.
- Protecting your teeth from developing tooth decay and gums from periodontal disease.
- Helping you maintain a beautiful, healthy smile.
- Freshening breath
How Often Should You Have A Dental Cleaning?
The American Dental (ADA) recommends that people of all ages have their teeth cleaned at the dentist twice a year to maintain good oral hygiene for a lifetime. In some circumstances, it may be necessary to have teeth cleaning appointments more frequently. This is especially important for people experiencing an oral health concern, such as gum disease. Usually, more frequent cleanings are only temporary and you can go back to bi-annual cleanings once the issue has been resolved.
General Dental Cleaning Cost
Most dental insurance plans include two routine check-ups and cleanings every six months. The cost of your professional teeth cleaning will depend on your particular insurance plan. For more information on what your dental insurance policy covers, please contact our office.
Schedule Your Professional Teeth Cleaning at Belle Forest Dental
Maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile doesn’t have to be complicated. By practicing good oral health habits at home and visiting Belle Forest Dental twice a year for routine dental exams and cleanings, you will be well on your way to preventing common dental issues, including tooth decay and gum disease. Call today to schedule your bi-annual professional cleaning with our friendly dental team!