Emergency Dentistry at Belle Forest Dental
No matter how well you care for your teeth, dental emergencies can happen to anyone at any time. If you experience a sudden dental emergency, it’s important to consult a professional right away to prevent any pain, damage, or infection from getting worse. While no one expects to encounter a dental emergency, it’s helpful to know the right steps to take if you do. Here’s how the experienced team at Belle Forest Dental in Nashville, TN, can assist you in the case of a dental emergency.
Emergency Dentistry in Nashville, TN
A dental emergency occurs when a person experiences a problem with their teeth, gums, or the soft tissue of their mouth that requires immediate treatment in order to soothe pain, step severe bleeding, save their tooth, or repair a dental restoration. Whenever anything unusual occurs in your mouth, it may seem like immediate care is required, but this isn’t always the case. Examples of a dental emergency include:
- A chipped or cracked tooth
- A fractured, broken, or knocked-out tooth
- Extreme dental pain
- Injuries to your gums
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- A lost filling or crown
On the other hand, an oral health problem that is bothersome but can wait a few days to be treated is not considered an emergency. For instance, if your tooth is chipped but is not causing you pain, it would not require immediate attention from a dentist.
When Should You See an Emergency Dentist?
When something unexpected affects the appearance, comfort, or function of your mouth, you should first ask yourself if the situation requires immediate dental care. Asking yourself these questions may be helpful:
- Are you in extreme pain?
- Is your tooth loose or missing?
- Could the tooth be infected?
- Is there uncontrollable bleeding?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s time to contact the trusted team at Belle Forest Dental to see our Nashville emergency dentist. Dental emergencies will not get better on their own. In many cases, seeking professional attention quickly is the only way to prevent pain and damage from worsening and, most importantly, infection from spreading to other parts of your body.
How Can I Manage the Pain of a Dental Emergency?
While we are often able to fit dental emergencies into our appointment schedule, it can sometimes take a few hours before you can be seen. If this is the case, here are some practical tips to manage the pain of common dental emergencies from home:
- Remove any food that could be stuck between your teeth with floss
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial rinse or warm salt water
- Hold a cold compress against the outside of your mouth against the infected area
- Apply an over-the-counter oral numbing gel to the inflamed area
- Broken Tooth:
- Take an over-the-counter medication for pain, such as Tylenol
- If you are bleeding, bite down on a piece of gauze or cotton to stop it
- Hold a cold compress against the outside of your mouth against the area
- Missing Crown:
- Apply clove oil to ease any discomfort
- Apply denture glue to the tooth and slip the crown over it until you can see the dentist
Do You Take Walk-In or Same-Day Appointments?
In most cases, we are able to accommodate walk-in and same-day dental emergencies. You are welcome to come to our office at any time to be seen for a dental emergency, however, it is always best to call ahead of time. By doing so, we can let you know how long your wait time might be as well as instruct you on how to alleviate pain and address your problem at home until Dr. Sivaneri can see you.
Emergency Dental Services Provided at Belle Forest Dental
At Belle Forest Dental, Dr. Sivaneri and his compassionate team are proud to offer a number of emergency dental care services, including:
- Re-inserting knocked-out teeth
- Repairing cracked, broken, or damaged teeth
- Treating infection
- Relieving pain
- Repairing missing fillings and crowns
If you experience a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to contact Belle Forest Dental right away. If you aren’t sure if your dental concern can be managed at home or requires immediate treatment, an experienced team member at Belle Forest Dental will be happy to learn more about your problem and can advise you whether to come into our office right away or make an appointment for a follow-up appointment.