Oral Health & Preventive Dentistry at Belle Forest Dental
When it comes to maintaining a bright attractive smile and good oral health, preventative dentistry is essential. Along with daily brushing and flossing, visiting your dentist twice a year for routine check-ups and cleanings plays a crucial role in making sure that minor oral health problems don’t evolve into major ones. If it’s been a while since you’ve seen a dentist or you aren’t sure what preventative dentistry encompasses, the trusted dental team at Belle Forest Dental is here to help.
What is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative dental services are rendered to prevent the start or progression of serious oral health problems, such as tooth decay or gum disease.
What are the Benefits of Preventative Dentistry?
There are a number of benefits to preventative dentistry, including:
- Preventing serious oral health concerns, such as cavities and gum disease, that could develop into more serious problems, such as tooth loss.
- Maintaining a beautiful, healthy smile.
- Protecting your overall health since poor oral health can contribute to other illnesses, such as heart disease.
Consequently, neglecting to practice good oral hygiene habits, such as visiting the dentist twice a year could have serious consequences. By failing to properly care for your teeth, you put your mouth in danger of developing:
- Tooth decay
- Plaque buildup that cannot be removed at home
- Tooth loss
- Stains and discoloration
- Bad breath
- Gum disease
- Oral cancer
What Does a Typical Preventative Dentistry Appointment Entail?
Most patients are encouraged to schedule a preventative dental appointment twice a year. At these visits, you can expect one of our trusted dentists to:
- Take quick, pain-free X-rays of your mouth
- Address any concerns you may have about your teeth and gums
- Examine your teeth, gums, and surrounding tissues for signs of disease
- Perform an oral cancer screening
After your routine check-up, a dental hygienist will:
- Remove any plaque and tartar from your teeth and gum line
- Thoroughly clean and floss your teeth
- Apply fluoride to protect your teeth’s enamel
What Kinds of Procedures are Included in a Preventative Dental Appointment?
Standard procedures that you can expect to take place at your preventative dental appointment include:
- Fluoride application
- Examination of oral cavity for cavities, gum disease, and abnormal lesions of the mouth
- Dental prophylaxis (professional dental cleaning)
- Oral cancer screening
- Routine dental X-rays
While some of these procedures, such as X-rays and oral cancer screenings, may sound intimidating, you’ll be happy to learn that they are quick and pain-free.
What is the Dentist Looking for During a Standard Dental Exam?
During your routine dental appointment, our dentists are looking for aesthetic and functional concerns for the patient, as well as tooth decay, gum disease, oral cancer, wear on teeth, and any abnormal hard or soft tissue lesions.
What Will I Pay for a Preventative Dental Appointment?
If you have dental insurance, your insurance will be filed for preventative services rendered and you will be responsible for any remaining balance the insurance does not cover. If you do not have dental insurance, we offer an affordable membership plan. For routine cleanings, X-rays, dental exams, and exclusive discounts on other services, our healthy mouth membership plan is only a monthly fee of $48!
Why Choose Belle Forest Dental for Preventative Dental Care
At Belle Forest Dental, our experienced dentists and friendly team are proud to use the best in modern technology to prevent, diagnose, and treat common oral health problems, such as oral DNA testing to determine the microbiology of your gums. By visiting our convenient Nashville location twice year, we can help you keep your teeth and gums healthy and strong for years to come. Contact us today to book your routine dental appointment!